49 years of Re-entry
Rebuilding Lives, Families and Communities
A United Way of Southeast Louisiana Impact Partner Since 1975
The CSC began as the vision of a group of volunteers who spent time in the local jail assisting inmates prior to their release. After witnessing inmates returning to incarceration through the revolving door, the volunteers realized that employment was not the only key to freedom and success. It was not only essential that ex-offenders be productive in their families and community, but they also needed a place to develop and strengthen their coping skills, while continuing to work on issues in their lives which had been barriers to stability and success.
The CSC provides holistic services to its clients and their families through a professional counseling/case management staff. Clients are assisted individually to promote successful, self-motivated, self-sufficient productive citizens of their communities and families.
Programs and services provided are designed specifically to assist the ex-offender remain free from incarceration. Holistic services provided to the clients and their families include:
- Outreach through pre-release sessions in the local jails and the Louisiana state penal institutions.
- Emergency assistance: food, clothes, shelter
- Case Management and Counseling (Individual and Family)
- Employment readiness, facilitation and maintenance
- Support groups: Life skills/socialization/gender issues “woman-to-woman” & “Caught in the Midst of Change”
- Family reunification support/Services to Children of recently released parents along with Caregiver support
- Substance abuse counseling and DWI Community Assistance
- Linkage to HIV/AIDS services
Profile of an average client served:
- Felony conviction
- On probation or parole
- Undereducated, lack of skills and/or training
- Unemployed, poor work history
- No identification
- In need of affordable housing